Mary Queen of Scots tour – four locations
Mary Queen of Scots tours – four locations
Mary Queen of Scots tour
Mary Queen of Scots tours – four locations
Our tour features a visit to the key places in the life of Mary Queen of Scots including Linlithgow Palace and Stirling Castle . Five films have been made about Mary Queen of Scots including the 2019 film featuring Oscar Nominee Saoirse Ronan in the role of the ambitious Mary, and Margot Robbie as Elizabeth I .
- Linlithgow Palace
Linlithgow Palace is where Mary was born in 1542.
Next to the Palace is the medieval St Michael’s Parish Church where Mary was baptised . A new bronze statue of Mary has been erected next to the church .
Linlithgow Palace featured as Wentworth Prison in Outlander.
This royal pleasure palace and birthplace of Mary Queen of Scots.
2. Stirling Castle is where Mary was brought to be crowned as an infant.
This was her home until she was 5 years old. The castle features the royal palace , rose gardens and Royal Apartments. In the castle Mary saw the baptism of her son, James VI . Sadly this is also the place where she sees him for the last time.
3. Loch Leven
Loch Leven recalls one of the more sombre periods in Mary’s life. Loch Leven Castle is where Mary was imprisoned for nearly a year, suffered a miscarriage and was forced to abdicate in favour of her son James. She eventually escaped with the help of George Douglas but went on to suffer defeat at The Battle of Langside, and on to imprisonment in England. On the tour we stop at Loch Leven .
4. Falkland Palace, the favourite retreat of the Stewarts. Mary is thought to have enjoyed some of her happiest days here, enjoying hunting and hawking and playing tennis on the world’s oldest tennis court. On a more haunting note, it is here that her father James V was said to utter the prophecy of The Stewart Dynasty “It cam’ wi’ a lass and it’ll gang wi’ a lass” and you can also see a copy of her death mask.
Nine key dates in the life of Mary Queen of Scots
- Born 8 December 1542 in Linlithgow Palace.
- Crowned Queen of Scots in the Chapel Royal, Stirling Castle, aged just nine months.
- Smuggled to France aged five, where she lived until she was 18.
- Gave birth to her only child in Edinburgh Castle. He would rise to become James VI of Scotland and James I of England.
- Some believe she arranged to have her second husband, Lord Darnley, assassinated.
- Married for a third time to Lord Bothwell – some believe he abducted her against her will.
- Imprisoned for almost a year in Lochleven Castle in Kinross before managing to escape.
- Last hours in Scotland were spent in Dundrennan Abbey in Dumfries & Galloway before journeying to England to seek protection from her cousin, Queen Elizabeth I.
- Confined in England for 18 years before Elizabeth sanctioned her death warrant and she was beheaded. She died 8 February 1587 in Fotheringhay Castle.
The 2019 Mary Queen of Scots film features Oscar Nominee Saoirse Ronan in the role of the ambitious Mary, whose attempts to reclaim the throne of Scotland incurs the wrath of the virgin queen, Elizabeth I, played by Margot Robbie. Former Dr Who David Tennant also features in the film as John Knox . Much of the filming for the £180 million project has taken place in Edinburgh, 20 miles from the queen’s birthplace in Linlithgow, with scenes also shot in Glencoe, Blackness Castle , Oxford and Derbyshire. The film also features a digital recreation of Linlithgow Palace , birthplace of Mary Queen of Scots.
Mary Queen of Scots tours – phone 07305-294773 or book online .
Private tours Edinburgh phone 0131-549-9785 today , we are open 7 days a week .
Private Custom Tours from Edinburgh 2022
Design your own tour of Scotland – pick the locations you want to visit and book online.
Check out our five star reviews for our unique range of private tours .
Coming soon – preview our tours with our new series of videos of Scotland
Five star Viator review: Scottish Whisky and Castles Private Tour
” Such a great day. The castles are breathtaking and Deanston Distillery tour is interesting and tasty 😉
David knew a ton about the area and as he does Outlander tours, plenty about the filming of the show. ”
Tours can be cancelled up to 24 hours before the booking date with a full refund .
Problems booking online ? Please phone / text / Whatsapp us on +447305294773 or contact us online
Buy your souvenir prints of Scotland from Photogold .
Phone +44131-549-9785 for more details or contact us online .
Book your airport transfer to St Andrews – Phone +447576127097 for bookings or visit Edinburgh Airport taxis online
Check out our Scotland prints collection
Private tours Edinburgh answer all your most important questions about Outlander