Mary Queen of Scots tour
Mary Queen of Scots tours – three locations
Our tour features a visit to the key places in the life of Mary Queen of Scots including Linlithgow Palace and Stirling Castle . The 2019 Mary Queen of Scots film features Oscar Nominee Saoirse Ronan in the role of the ambitious Mary, whose attempts to reclaim the throne of Scotland incurs the wrath of her cousin, Elizabeth I, played by Margot Robbie.
Same day booking – phone before 9 am to book your tourtoday , subject to availability .
- Linlithgow Palace
Linlithgow Palace is where Mary was born in 1542.
Next to the Palace is the medievalSt Michael’s Parish Churchwhere Mary was baptised . A new bronze statue of Mary has been erected next to the church .
Linlithgow Palace featured as Wentworth Prison in Outlander.
This royal pleasure palace and birthplace ofMary Queen of Scots
2. Stirling Castleis where Mary was brought to be crowned as an infant.
This was her home until she was 9 years old. The castle features the royal palace , rose gardens and Royal Apartments. In the castle Mary saw the baptism of her son, James VI . Sadly this is also the place where she sees him for the last time.
3. Falkland Palace
Falkland Palace was a favourite haunt of Mary . She played tennis there at the first tennis court in the world.
Nine key dates in the life ofMary Queen of Scots
- Born 8 December 1542 in Linlithgow Palace.
- Crowned Queen of Scots in the Chapel Royal, Stirling Castle, aged just nine months.
- Smuggled to France aged five, where she lived until she was 18.
- Gave birth to her only child in Edinburgh Castle. He would rise to become James VI of Scotland and James I of England.
- Some believe she arranged to have her second husband, Lord Darnley, assassinated.
- Married for a third time to Lord Bothwell – some believe he abducted her against her will.
- Imprisoned for almost a year in Lochleven Castle in Kinross before managing to escape.
- Last hours in Scotland were spent in Dundrennan Abbey in Dumfries & Galloway before journeying to England to seek protection from her cousin, Queen Elizabeth I.
- Confined in England for 18 years before Elizabeth sanctioned her death warrant and she was beheaded. She died 8 February 1587 in Fotheringhay Castle.
The 2019 Mary Queen of Scots film features Oscar Nominee Saoirse Ronan performs the role of the ambitious Mary, and Elizabeth I was played by Margot Robbie. Former Dr Who David Tennant also features in the film as John Knox . Much of the filming for the £180 million project has taken place in Edinburgh, 20 miles from the queen’s birthplace in Linlithgow, with scenes also shot in Glencoe, Blackness Castle , Oxford and Derbyshire. The film also features a digital recreation of Linlithgow Palace , birthplace ofMary Queen of Scots.
Mary Queen of Scots tours cost £270 – phone +447305-294773 or book online .
Private tours Edinburghphone 0131-549-9785 today , we are open 7 days a week .
Private Custom Tours from Edinburgh 2023 & 2024
Design your own small group tour of Scotland with a custom tour designed yourself.
We are the Last minute bookings specialist – Whatsapp +447305294773 or contact us online.
Late Bookings for our small group tours can be made by phone / Whatsapp on +447305-294773 ,
toll free number 1-866-233-2644
or online on our tour bookings page
Castles and Braveheart tours – Book Castles and Braveheart tours now !
Outlander and Game of Thrones tours – Book Outlander and Game of Thrones tours now !
Culloden and Lallybroch tours – Book Culloden and Lallybroch tours now !
Tours of Scotland – Book Tours of Scotland now!
Read out our five star reviews for our unique range of private tours .
Preview our tours with our new series of virtual tours of Scotland.
Five star Viator review: Scottish Whisky and Castles Private Tour
” Such a great day. The castles are breathtaking and Deanston Distillery tour is interesting and tasty 😉 ”
Save 30% on our tours – we guarantee savings of 30% over any other online travel agents
Tours can be cancelled up to 48 hours before the booking date with a full refund .
Need more information ? Please phone / text / Whatsapp us on +447305294773 or contact us online
New – Highland cow gifts
Your driver / guide is David Rankin , a photographer with 20 years experience and a tour guide for 5 years . David has extensive knowledge of the top locations in Scotland for a wide range of tours to castles , the Highlands and film locations including Outlander and Game of Thrones . Please phone / text / Whatsapp him on +447305294773 or contact us online
Edinburgh shore excursions – all of our tours can be booked as shore excursions
Private tours Edinburgh answer all your most important questions about Outlander
- is there a real Lallybroch ?
- what does Broch Tuarach mean ?
- where is the Game of Thrones castle in Scotland ?
- is Midhope Castle a filming location in Outlander ?
- what exactly are the Kelpies ?
- where can I see the Braveheart sword ?
- can I design my own custom tour if I can’t find the tour I am looking for ?
Private Tours Search
For last minute bookings phone / Whatsapp +447305294773 , use our toll free number 1-866-233-2644 orcontact us online.
All photography and videos are copyright of David Rankin