Set-jetting, also known as film tourism or location-based tourism, is a huge travel trend where people visit destinations that have been featured in popular movies, TV shows, or other forms of media. Travellers are drawn to these locations because they want to experience the real-life settings of their favourite films or shows, and sometimes even recreate iconic scenes from them. Set-jetting allows individuals to connect with their favourite stories on a more personal level and immerse themselves in the fictional worlds they love. Scotland is becoming a popular location for films and TV shows with 2023 being a record year for the number of productions taking place in Scotland .
The specific destinations popular for set-jetting can vary from year to year depending on the release of new movies and TV shows. In 2023, the set-jetting destinations could include locations featured in highly anticipated films and TV series that were released or scheduled for release around that time. The top set jetting tours for 2023 include Outlander , Braveheart , Game of Thrones, James Bond and Monty Python . Private tours Edinburgh can offer private tours for fans of all of these films and TV series .
Outlander is a hugely popular TV series featuring Claire and Jamie Fraser . Outlander was filmed entirely in Scotland. Top Outlander locations include Lallybroch , Castle Leoch and Culloden , the location of the Clan Fraser grave .
Braveheart is the story of William Wallace , who fought for the freedom of Scotland from an oppressive English king .
Doune Castle is the Game of Thrones castle in Scotland . The Feast of Winterfell was filmed in the Great Hall of Doune Castle.
James Bond had a strong Scottish heritage , as did the first James Bond Sean Connery . Visit his birthplace , check out some Bond cars and go to the Highlands for the film locations used in Skyfall and the World is not Enough .
Scotland has been a popular set-jetting destination for many years, thanks to its stunning landscapes and historic locations that have been featured in various films and TV series. In 2023, you can expect Scotland to continue attracting set-jetters to its iconic locations. Here are some of the notable places in Scotland that have been featured in films and TV shows and may be of interest to set-jetters:
- Edinburgh: The capital city of Scotland is a favourite location for filmmakers. It has been featured in movies like “Trainspotting,” “Braveheart,” “Rebus ” and the “Harry Potter” series. Visitors can explore iconic sites like the Edinburgh Castle and the Royal Mile.
- The Highlands: Scotland’s dramatic and picturesque landscapes are often used in films and TV series. Locations like Glencoe and the Isle of Skye have appeared in movies like “Skyfall” (James Bond) and TV series like “Outlander.”
- Stirling: Stirling Castle is a historic location that has been used as a backdrop in various productions, including “Braveheart.”
- Glenfinnan Viaduct: This iconic railway viaduct in the Scottish Highlands is famous for its appearance in the “Harry Potter” films, where it serves as the route for the Hogwarts Express.
- Doune Castle: This castle is known for its role as Castle Leoch in the “Outlander” TV series and Winterfell in Game of Thrones
- The Scottish Borders: Locations in the Scottish Borders have been featured in films like “The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.”
- Glasgow: Glasgow has been featured in films like the latest Indiana Jones film , “World War Z” and TV series like “Ripper Street.”
- Isle of Lewis: This remote island in the Outer Hebrides has been featured in “The Edge of the World” and the TV series “Lewis.”
- Shetland – This island and its stunning scenery was the location for the TV detective series Shetland
These are just a few examples, and there are many more locations in Scotland that have been used as settings for films and TV shows. If you’re a set-jetter interested in Scotland, immerse yourself in the cinematic beauty of the country while enjoying its rich history and culture with one of our set jetting tours for 2023 including Outlander , Braveheart , Game of Thrones, James Bond and Monty Python . Private tours Edinburgh can offer private tours for fans of all of these films and TV series .
Private Custom Tours from Edinburgh 2023 & 2024
Design your own small group tour of Scotland with a custom tour designed yourself.
We are the Last minute bookings specialist – Whatsapp +447305294773 or contact us online.
Late Bookings for our small group tours can be made by phone / Whatsapp on +447305-294773 ,
toll free number 1-866-233-2644
or online on our tour bookings page
Midhope Castle tours
Castles and Braveheart tours – Book Castles and Braveheart tours now !
Outlander and Game of Thrones tours – Book Outlander and Game of Thrones tours now !
Culloden and Lallybroch tours – Book Culloden and Lallybroch tours now !
Tours of Scotland – Book Tours of Scotland now!
Read out our five star reviews for our unique range of private tours .
Preview our tours with our new series of virtual tours of Scotland.
Five star Viator review: Scottish Whisky and Castles Private Tour
” Such a great day. The castles are breathtaking and Deanston Distillery tour is interesting and tasty 😉 ”
Save 30% on our tours – we guarantee savings of 30% over any other online travel agents
Tours can be cancelled up to 48 hours before the booking date with a full refund .
Need more information ? Please phone / text / Whatsapp us on +447305294773 or contact us online
New – Highland cow gifts
Your driver / guide is David Rankin , a photographer with 20 years experience and a tour guide for 5 years . David has extensive knowledge of the top locations in Scotland for a wide range of tours to castles , the Highlands and film locations including Outlander and Game of Thrones . Please phone / text / Whatsapp him on +447305294773 or contact us online
Edinburgh shore excursions – all of our tours can be booked as shore excursions
Private tours Edinburgh answer all your most important questions about Outlander
- is there a real Lallybroch ?
- what does Broch Tuarach mean ?
- where is the Game of Thrones castle in Scotland ?
- is Midhope Castle a filming location in Outlander ?
- what exactly are the Kelpies ?
- where can I see the Braveheart sword ?
- can I design my own custom tour if I can’t find the tour I am looking for ?
Private Tours Search
For last minute bookings phone / Whatsapp +447305294773 , use our toll free number 1-866-233-2644 orcontact us online.
All photography and videos are copyright of David Rankin